Saturday 14 November 2020

Truth In Advertising



So, I found this "Electronic" JC Penny sewing machine going cheap in a thrift store. I've never had an electronic machine before and I was curious. So, I forked over my $24.99 plus tax, and headed home all excited about leaning about electronic sewing machines.

 I plugged it in and a whole bunch of lights came on and when I pushed the pedal down, things started to move like they should. This is good, I thought, now let's see how this baby works. Popped the top cover off and had a good look inside. What I see is standard mechanical sewing machine. In fact, I recognize some of those mechanical parts. I saw them the day before on a Kenmore sewing machine. Much like my befuddled Pfaff, This is a JC Penny branded Janome.

So what makes it an "Electronic" sewing machine? Well, they hooked the mechanical switch selector knob to a multi-position electrical switch. So for every stitch position you select, a different set of lights come on. Apparently, the addition of a switch and some LEDs on a circuit board, catapults this machine into the 21st century and a higher price range...

Grrrrrrr!


No comments:

Post a Comment