Sunday 27 May 2018

The Babylock BL097 Serger/overlocker

So, I was standing in the checkout line in Value Village holding up this heavy little Babylock serger, an item that I know absolutely nothing about. Well not  quite, I did know 2 things. First thing I knew is that these little suckers are expensive machines. The second thing I know is that the price tag says say $24.99. Knowing stuff is not always a good thing, sometimes it can lead to conclusions being drawn. Conclusions as in : I can get this thing going, no problem,.... I think.
So, like I said, I'm just waiting there in line, and the lady behind me says to her husband, '' If that was me, I would just take that machine to the sewing machine store and say Helpppp!"  I looked  at her, and asked"Really?" She said "yes, those are real, real hard machines to use! You have to take a course for them".  I told her  "I was just going to find the manual online and get it going". She gave me a pitying look and shook her head sadly, at my foolishness....At which point the line moved on and we parted company.
So, I went home, found the manual, downloaded and read it. I threaded it up as per instructions in the book, shoved some fabric under the presser and hit the pedal. About one and a half seconds later, it spit the fabric perfectly sewn out the other side of the machine.
I've seen this before. Complicated looking things intimidating people, when all they have to do is read the instructions.I've seen it on sewing machines and I've seen it on half a million dollar production machines. I've seen those same machines sit and never get used. I always wonder why?


4 comments:

  1. It always surprises me that so many people are intimidated by these things, yet I am totally intimidated by electronics while so many others breeze along with them... We can be so different yet have been schooled to think we all experience things the same way. You seem to be able to combine the understanding of mechanics & electronics - quite stellar! 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know if you'll see this but I just got this machine and can't find the manual online. Do you have yours still? Any chance you could email it?
    natasqi (at) gmail would be AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I love a challenge like this too. What a deal 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s true many people are intimidated, it’s just a case of understanding how they work, what the key parts are and as you said, reading the manual.

    ReplyDelete